Attendees: Diego Lopez, John Dyer, Licia Florio, Brook Schofield, Niels and Walter Van Dijk.
- Walter noted that TF-MSP is looking at different level of cooperations and that he would envisage TF-MSP to address services ready to be deployed.
TF-MSP is also looking at different service-model like TCS and/or models in which a service is offered by one NREN and accessed by others in a federated model (an example of this could be Adobe connec, storage etc).
- Cloud services: how are they offered? Would this be a topic for EMC2/Storage group or would it be a topic for MSP?
- It was noted that NORDUNET is maintaining a catalogue for the nordic countries to list mature services offered by NRENs. It would be worht exploring whether TERENA could expan such a service to connect all the NRENs.
- Niels is working with I2 to create a registry of domesticated applications - The service could be moved to TERENA in the future.
In conclusion we should aim at creating two type of functions: a product manager (covered by MSP group) + technical product manager (covered by EMC2). Ideally these two groups would work as follows:
- MSP identify a business case
- At the point of approaching a vendor - MSP, TERENA, appropriate technical TF-* talk to each other
- The goal for the NREN should be to be able to offer a service to their community.
It was agreed that there are three type of applications to look at:
- existing services, looking at policies and financial (more for TF-MSP)
- services offered by a third party which could be potentially interesting for NRENs. For this group an aggregation of NRENs would lead to a more convenient model; this group would also include well-defined services (such as adobe or similar) which could be offered and operated by 1 NREN and bought by other NRENs.
- Glueing external services (cloud, VOs and so on) to local services - This would fit more EMC2, as it would be more technology-related. It would be good to create a check-list of min technical requirements that would be agreed by the majority of NRENs.
We all agreed that having a clearing house for collaboration would be ideal - the initial software would come from the joint SURFnet and I2 project.
Diego noted that REFEDs budget could be used to create a catalogue of domesticated applications, which would a subset of the clearing house.
Next VC half September.